Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: season 2, ep. 21 Quippy Quotes

We're almost done with season two, and the last two episodes are two of the best in the Buffy oeuvre. In the first of the two-parter, "Becoming, Part 1," there are flashbacks of Angel before Buffy, and of Buffy before she discovers she's a Slayer. We are taken back to the moments when Angel loses his soul, and when the Gypsy curse restores his soul. And we see Buffy when she meets her first Watcher, and discovers her calling as The Chosen One.

It's great to see Buffy in her air-headed, clueless pre-Slayer state, and watch as she learns not only what she can do, but also what she must do.

Quotes:

Narrator (Whistler): Here's the thing. There's moments in your life that make you, that set the course of who you're going to be. Sometimes they're little, subtle moments. Sometimes they're not. I'll show you what I mean.

Angel: Why don't you rest right here.

Angel: Milady, you'll find that, with the exception of an honest day's work, there's no challenge I'm not prepared to face.

Buffy (to a vampire): I want you to get a message to Angel for me. Tell him I'm done waiting. I'm taking the fight to him. You got that? You need me to write it down for you? (vampire attacks and Buffy "stakes" him) All right, I'll tell him myself.

Xander: I'm good. Don't worry about me.
Buffy: You know you don't have to patrol with me.
Xander: I had that guy under control until he resorted to fisticuffs.

Buffy: I haven't even started studying for finals yet.
Xander: Oh, yea! Finals! Why didn't you let me die?

Xander (reenacting the previous evenings events for the rest of the Scooby gang with fish sticks): "Tell Angel I'm gonna kill him. No, wait. I'm gonna kill you. Die! Die! Die!" "Arggh! Mother."
Cordelia: Is that it?
Xander: That's it. Scene.
Buffy: Exactly how it happened.
Oz: I thought it was riveting. I was a little unclear about some of the themes.
Buffy: The theme is, Angel's too much of a coward to take me on face-to-face.
Xander: And the other theme was "Buy American," but it got kind of buried.

Willow: Do you think you're ready to fight Angel?
Buffy: I wish people would stop asking me that. Yes, I'm ready. I'm also willing and able. It's the one test I might actually pass.
Willow: Don't say that. You're going to pass everything. I will get you through this semester if I have to sweat blood.
Xander: Do you think you're likely to? 'Cause I'd like to be elsewhere.
Willow: It's only metaphor blood.

Cordelia: Willow, you've really got the teaching bug. Taking over computer class, tutoring...
Willow: I love it. I really do.
Cordelia: I think it's great to do that before you fail in the real world. That way you're not falling back on something. You're falling, well, forward.
Xander: And almost 65% of that was actual compliment. Is that a personal best?

Willow: Do you really expect Angel to turn up tonight.
Buffy: No, I don't expect him to. But that's usually when he does.

Angel (to Drusilla): You can see all that in your head?
Spike: No, you ninny. She read it in the morning paper.

Buffy (studying with Willow): Ah! This doesn't make any sense!
Willow: Well, sure it does. See... (looks at her work) Oh no, this doesn't make any sense.
Buffy: It's senseless.
Willow: It is, but at least you know that, so you're learning.
Buffy: Yay me! Well, it doesn't matter anyway. I mean, when in the real world am I ever going to need chemistry or history or math or the... English language?

Willow: You can learn this real easily, but if you're just gonna give up, then don't waste my time.
Buffy: Wow, you are a good teacher.

Xander: Hi! For those of you who've just tuned in, everyone here is a crazy person.

Giles: Let's not lose our perspective here, Xander.
Xander: I'm Perspective Guy. Angel's a killer.

Cordelia: Xander has a point.
Xander: You know, for once I wish you'd support me! And I realize right now that you were, and I'm embarrassed, so I'm gonna get back to the point, which is that Angel needs to die.

Buffy: You know, polite people call before they jump out of the bushes and attack you.

Spike: It's a big rock. Can't wait to tell all my friends. They don't have a rock this big.

Spike: Let me guess. Someone pulls out the sword...
Angel: Someone worthy.
Spike: ...the demon wakes up and wackiness ensues.

Angel: My friends. We're about to make history... end.

Buffy: And you're sure this was the tomb of Alfalfa?
Giles: Acathla.

Buffy: If I don't get there in time, or if I lose, then Willow might be our only hope.
Willow: I don't want to be our only hope. I crumble under pressure. Let's have another hope.

Giles: How close are you to figuring out the ritual of the curse?
Willow: I need about a day. And... an orb of Thesulah. Whatever that is.
Giles: A spirit vault for rituals of the undead. I've got one. I've been using it as a paperweight.

Willow: This means I can't help you study for tomorrow's final.
Buffy: Ah, I'll wing it. Of course, if we got to Hell by then, I won't have to take 'em. Or maybe I'll be taking them forever.

Whistler: My name's Whistler. Anyway, lately it is.

Watcher: You must come with me. Your destiny awaits.
Buffy: I don't have a destiny. I'm destiny-free. Really.

Watcher: You alone can stop them.
Buffy: Who?
Watcher: The vampires:
Buffy: Huh?

Buffy: Oh. Not the heart.

Angel: I wanna help her. I wanna become someone.

Angel: I wasn't sure you'd come.
Buffy: After your "immolation-o-gram"? Come on, I had to show. Shouldn't you be out destroying the world right now? Pulling a sword out of Al Franken, or whatever his name is?
Angel: There's time enough. I wanted to say goodbye first. You are the one in thing in this dimension that I will miss.
Buffy: This is a beautiful moment we're having. Can we please fight?

Whistler (voice-over): Bottom line is, even if you see 'em comin', you're not ready for the big moments. No one asks for their life to change. Not really. But it does. So, what are we? Helpless? Puppets? No. The big moments are gonna come. You can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.
Cop: Freeze!
Whistler: You'll see what I mean.

"To be continued..."

No comments:

Post a Comment